Thursday, July 9, 2009

Good night

So I've decided I need to post a blog. Except I haven't had anything blog worthy to blog about yet. Then today this happened and I decide to tell you about it.
I'm going to warn you ahead of time, this is kind of graphic.
Today while I was riding my bike I passed by a tree next to the sidewalk. I thought I saw something on the ground in front of it move, so I decided to double back and check it out. There on the ground I found four baby birds that had fallen out of their nest because of the heavy rains earlier that day. The birds were too young to fly or even walk. A few of them didn't even have any feathers yet. I caught my breath when I saw that all of them were covered in a swarm of ants. But they weren't dead yet; they were still kicking and fighting to get up. It was so sad. I knew there wasn't much I could do. As I stood there, one of them just stopped moving all together. I couldn't just take one home...could I? I mean its mother wouldn't take it back would it? I took out my water bottle and rinsed some of the ants off of the oldest and, well for lack of better words, the least dead bird and then cradled it in my sunglasses. It's eyes weren't open yet and it kept opening and closing its mouth while trying desperately to stand. I stood there for a few minutes without a clue of what I was going to do next. I attempted to brush off the remaining ants as I looked around for the nest. I didn't see one so I looked around for a place to put it off the ground and away from those stupid ants. I couldn't find a good spot. I stood on the sidewalk and finally resolved to put the bird in the bag I had on my bike and take it home. Probably not the best idea but I had to do something I HAD to. Walking away felt like failing to stop and render aid. I'm not sure why I felt so strongly about it but I did. As I turned carefully to go back to my bike, sunglasses cradle in had, the bird struggled a bit too much. I flinched as it fell to the sidewalk with a sickening splat. I turned got on my bike and rode away as fast as I could.
I felt so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Poor birds...

    Next time take one home with you. Birds have a horrible sense of smell, they can't tell when someone touches their chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad!

    I don't think there is much you could've done. Nature was taking its toll.

    And you said you tried to take one home, right?

    ReplyDelete